Re: Update on Web Payments Working Group [The Web Browser API Incubation Anti-Pattern]

On 2016-04-07 07:44, Roger Bass wrote:
<snip>

> However, I would suggest that if broad payments interoperability
 > arises elsewhere (i.e. non-browser use cases) it's plausible that
 > that would carry over to the browser use case too.

Yes, but payment system interoperability is not the #1 problem on Web,
it is rather Convenience, Security, Privacy, and Decentralization.

Another issue which is seldom mentioned is that payments still are dominated
by (functionality-wise) rather variant local solutions, where the US stick out
as a major laggard:
http://www.pymnts.com/news/faster-payments/2016/the-fastest-path-to-faster-payments-in-the-us/

The US is an equally deficient player when it comes to eID which is why things
like credentials probably won't fly in W3C while already being deployed in many
other countries (albeit in some kind of proprietary format and system).

The solution for the Web (if there is one), is IMO creating open technology
enabling innovation by "anybody" and wait with interoperability until there's
something worth being interoperable with.

The current CNP (Card Not Present) scheme is an example of a system that doesn't
have any legitimate place in a standard:
https://w3c.github.io/browser-payment-api/specs/basic-card-payment

Apple Pay is much better and if the other players can't match Apple
they should maybe consider doing something else :-)

Anders