Re: Update on Web Payments Working Group [The Web Browser API Incubation Anti-Pattern]

On 5 April 2016 at 00:35, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:

> RE: "What do you by mean "some but not all"? My take is that the web is
> ideal for all, we just need to write the code."
>
> Here are four examples prominent in my own primary work (which is
> https://www.xalgorithms.org/ ). Other linkages will be key, for other
> initiatives and contexts.
>
> 1. Many pre-payment and post-payment data req's are effectively addressed
> by OASIS UBL http://ubl.xml.org/
>
> 2. The protocols required for moving around core messages and much of the
> info 'baggage' attached to payments are defined by the IETF. (For example,
> SWIFT's "value added" service functionality is at the Internet layer, not
> the Web layer.)
>
> 3. To some extent US Federal Reserve System functions as a quasi-standards
> body. The criteria that have been negotiated in the Faster Payments Task
> Force (though an astonishingly open and collaborative process) provides a
> good example for how this can work when it works well.
> https://fedpaymentsimprovement.org/faster-payments/task-force/criteria/
>
> 4. UNCITRAL WG IV on e-Commerce is working on advancing the legal
> foundations of "electronic transferable records"
>
> http://www.uncitral.org/uncitral/en/commission/working_groups/4Electronic_Commerce.html
> If you look below the legalese (i.e. reflect upon Lessig's "code is law"),
> and find a way to embrace the "weight" that comes with having a more truly
> global representation than most IT standards bodies ever muster, there's
> some extremely useful and timely work going on there.

So which of these four cant be modeled using web standards?  Or are you
saying we can use the web as a core and then bootstrap existing
methodologies?  The second way is very much part of the web paradigm, where
the web works best as an integration platform.  Reuse is normally a good
thing, but web standards encourage reuse already.