Re: decentralized vs distributed payments

> People always talk about 'decentralized' money when it's 'distributed'. What's the difference? A distributed system is shared over many hard drives. A decentralized system goes one step further. It does not have a central point of control.

So far so good.

> In the case of bitcoin the central point of control is the protocol which says "longest chain wins".

No. That is not a central point of control, that is just the protocol rule.

> A pure decentralized system would be much simpler. It would take the essential essence of money (a ledger + transactions) and have no other constraints. Each entry in the ledger would point to an entity. Each value in the ledger would be an amount. That's it. There is no pre ordained protocol.

More accurate would be to call that a purely malfunctioning system.

Any decentralized payment system needs to solve the double-spending problem, and this one does not.

Cheers,
Greg