Re: JPMorgan Chase has signed up retailer consortium MCX as a partner for Chase Pay, its new digital wallet leading the fight back against tech giants Apple, Google and Samsung in the increasingly crowded mobile money arena

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:30:35 +0100
To: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>, Arie Yehuda Levy Cohen <arielevycohen@gmail.com>
Cc: Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>

>> http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=28044
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> "Chase Pay is eschewing NFC technology for instore payments in favour
>> of a QR code-based system, which the bank says makes it easier and
>> cheaper for merchants to roll out.
>
> QR codes. Well. I think this says it all, really:
>
> http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/

:-)

Maybe they have read this article?
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/banks-should-stop-dreaming-about-blockchains-start-looking-alibaba-1523647

Alibaba uses QR-code with great success.
However, banks are anything but mini-Alibabas and the US and EU financial industries are very different to China's.
OTOH, Alibaba is not Google or Apple either so they are quite limited by available technology.

It is a pretty interesting power-game out there.

Anders