Re: Wallet in Windows 10

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 09:13:39 +0200
To: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Cc: Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>

> http://www.neowin.net/news/joe-belfiore-mobile-payment-support-is-coming-soon-to-windows-10
>
> I must admit that I don't understand how this matches Microsoft's recent
> cross-platform strategy.  One more proprietary wallet is also certainly not
> what banks, merchants, and similar are craving for.

Seems like what must happen is what happens in most emerging markets:

1. Every major platform owner first build their own proprietary solution.
2. They gather some momentum and customers.
3. They notice that momentum stops because of interoperability issues.
4. Given the balance between the different platform owners, what will
happen is either:
4.1. One owner will consumes all others and we'll only have one,
proprietary solution.
4.2. Each owner has equal leverage, so they start figuring out an
interoperable solution.

We of course want 4.1. to happen right now, but the wallet market at
least, I think it's a bit futile.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-        asbjorn@ulsberg.no