Re: Web Payments - 21 years ago

On 2015-11-12 11:54, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
> By "you", I assume you mean the WG (or at least the IG who chartered the WG)?

Right.

> I think you have misunderstood the way the WG specifications will play out.
>
> Let's look at what is being standardised (ignoring for a moment the pre-payment stuff like registration):
>
> 1. A very high level flow (request from payee -> response from payer) all other
 > comms are out of scope and hanlded by the payer (or their wallet/app/agent) and
 > payee (or their PSP/bank etc)

I think I've got that.

> 2. The messages that form part of this flow. Although clearly these
 > messages will be "envelopes" for payment method specific data as required by implementors.

Here you immediately run into a problem:
How can you interpret/decipher currently unknown/undocumented payment method specific data?
Answer: You cannot.

In addition, if you (for the sake of the discussion) applied this thinking to my PoC
it wouldn't work since it already defines a specific, and for the rest of this
end-2-end-secured payment system carefully matched request/response pair.

Well, you can of course hope that the rest of the payment parties won't insist on
end-2-end-security and similar stuff which is in direct conflict with the IG/WG vision.

Anders