Re: Web Payments - 21 years ago

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:59:37 +0100
To: Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>, Web Payments IG <public-webpayments-ig@w3.org>, Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
On 2015-11-12 09:09, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
> A New York Times article from 1994 describes the first online payment:
> http://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/12/business/attention-shoppers-internet-is-open.html

For on-line payments (and reservations) using credit-cards and not relying on a
super-provider, nothing has really changed during these 21 years.  Considering its
importance these days, I'm inclined to say that things have rather gone backward :-)

The only noticeable action is on the "App" side which makes me wonder why you
didn't consider hooking into this force instead of betting on a "Browser Wallet"
which will be difficult to standardize [1] and keep up-to-date with the market,
while the "App" folks can do updates whenever there is a need.

Cheers,
Anders

1] with respect to
- Payment UI ownership/branding
- Deployment model
- Possibly different flows of information
- Possibly encrypted data
- Enrollment
- Security solutions
- The desire among payment providers keeping their code secret