Re: A Decentralized Hashtable for the Web

On 11/02/2015 09:58 PM, Adam Lake wrote:
> I understand that you all are developing a distributed payment
> system, but can this same technology be used as the basis for a
> distributed social network? Have you heard of Heartbeat
> <https://www.ind.ie/>?

Yes, it could. We are currently discussing some of this stuff w/ members
of the W3C Social Web WG and Sir Tim Berners-Lee's team out of MIT.

Having identifiers that you own enable you to tie comments, posts,
friendship relationships, and other things of that sort to those
identifiers without worrying about those identifiers going away when a
company end-of-life's a product.

There are many applications for a Web-wide DHT - payments, social
networking, DNS replacement, IoT communication, etc. It's a general
purpose technology with a large range of applications, but the immediate
use case for the technology is around the next phase of the Web Payments
and current phase of the Identity Credentials work.

blog: Web Payments: The Architect, the Sage, and the Moral Voice
https://manu.sporny.org/2015/payments-collaboration/