Re: [Payments Architecture] A vision statement for the web payments architecture work

On 26 May 2015 at 15:50, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com> wrote:

> One must remember that this analogy breaks down when you consider that
> data can be replicated infinitely and yet we want to send "value" in a way
> that it can only be sent once and once it has been sent it is held be the
> receiver.

Data cant be sent infintiely, since storage is finite.  Data can be
replicated, however, to very large degrees.  This is part of what we call
the "open world assumption" [1].  Out of this mass of data comes a
consensus, for it to be useful.  This is either top down through central
authorities.  Or bottom up, in a self organizing way, which is the design
philosophy of the web.  We've seen both system work as a hybrid solution on
the web.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-world_assumption