Re: [Payments Architecture] A vision statement for the web payments architecture work

I've spent some time today reviewing the documents.

Here's a few comments, which are perhaps considering the issues in a
broader sense than the initial document envisaged; yet, i do see particular
differentiation between traditional web-standards works, and that of
Web-Payments / Open-Creds, which in combination may relate directly to
human rights principles pertaining to economic and political rights,
through the utility of technology not before available that in-turn
provides new options for a networked society.

   -

   Providing accessibility for payers and payees with disabilities

Web-Accessibility Definition [1] does not necessarily related directly and
holistically to other accessibility definitions used to define
web-accessibility or accessibility to economic participation.

To these ends, i envisage some of the architectural considerations should
include high-level documents of international consensus that best reflect
shared values in relation to commerce and terms-of-trade.

Some examples of vision statements that appear to be aligned, IMHO include;

   -

   International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights [2]
   -

   International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [3]
   -

   Internet Society: Values and Principles statement [4]

The other document that comes to mind with more specificity surrounding the
use of linked-data technology specifically, is TimBL’s designissues notes
on LinkedData [5]

   -

   Protecting the privacy of all participants

Privacy is one particular element of ‘data rights’ that can be transcribed
by RDF statements.  Therein the extensibility of payment participants to
extensibly define rules in relation to transactions may extend beyond
standardised privacy principles.  Australia has an array of privacy
principles outlined [6] that may provide support towards better defining
the terms, and/or understanding where definitions may be placed given the
variability of these principles on a state-by-state basis, including, the
capacity for web-transport between jurisdictions, which may in-turn be
supported by other notations such as ‘choice of law’ selections and/or
ontologically empowered capacities that may in future better reflect the
agreements understood by all participating-parties at the time of trade.

Related Local Activities

I attended a Metadata Conference recently in Melbourne where the demands of
‘metadata retention’ were discussed [7] in context telecommunications
requirements and challenges.

IMHO, the video provides a presentation outlining the current position of
our leading telecommunications institutions with regard to ‘metadata’ and
how legislative agenda is being defined, through particular narratives used
to define solutions in utility of current understandings of the technology
landscape.

Perhaps importantly; the definition of ‘metadata’ should be defined
(whether that is an inclusive or exclusionary definition) if possible as to
provide guidance for legislators when considering the layer-cake that is
‘metadata’ vs. data that applies to legislation, such as ‘privacy
principles’.

[1] http://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/accessibility

[2] http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CESCR.aspx

[3] http://www.ohchr.org/en/professionalinterest/pages/ccpr.aspx