Re: [Payments Architecture] A vision statement for the web payments architecture work

On 05/18/2015 08:58 AM, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
> https://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/wiki/Payment_Agent_Task_Force/Vision

Thanks Adrian, I like the brevity - it's a strong message. Some key
points that are still missing:

- privacy enhancing
- ubiquity / reach
- encourages fairness and competition
- very low deployment and operational costs

> user

Strike the word 'user' from the entire document, it's degrading[1]. Try
to use 'people'/'person'... or 'customer' or 'payer' if the first two
options don't work out.

> Different payment schemes support different clearing and settlement
> delays.

I don't think many people know what "clearing and settlement" are. I
know the second sentence clarifies it, but I'm wondering if we could do
without it. For example:

"Different payment schemes move promises and value at different speeds."

or

"Different payment schemes operate at different speeds."

or

"Different payment schemes move value at different speeds."

> Web that do not depend on advertising sales

... "that do not depend on advertising"

> Bridges distributed value networks. The Web will ultimately serve as
> a bridge between disparate (open and closed) value networks, allowing
> --from the perspective of both merchants and users-- seamless
> payments using any payment instruments.

Potential reword to something like:

The Web will ultimately serve as a bridge between both open and closed
value networks. This will enable both merchants and customers to
seamlessly send and receive money using a variety of previously
non-interoperable payment instruments.

-- manu

[1] http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/words_matter_talk_a.html