From: Anders Rundgren [mailto:anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2015 10:44 PM
To: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L; 'Erik Anderson'; Web Payments CG; public-webpayments-comments@w3.org
Subject: Re: Bloomberg recommending Browser Extension Community Group. Vote yes!

On 2015-05-08 07:09, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L wrote:
> Sounds like a great idea.
> I added our support and it looks like this put it over the fence.

As I as have been jumping up and down regarding this topic for months, I'm of course very interested.  I don't think the CG description really tells the entire story because there are two fundamentally different browser extensions:

- HTML5/JS-based extensions which may have additional APIs which if used typically require certification

- Extensions that (in some way) "hook" into the native layer

Google and Mozilla have created (completely different) mixtures of HTML5/JS extensions with native support which I consider unfortunate; The Google solution requires a sys-admin-like install of native code + an "AppStore" for the HTML5/JS extension.

Although there's a huge (documented) interest [1,2] for a standardized extension for accessing the native layer, it seems that this is outside of W3C's "jurisdiction".

Now there are two extension proposed browser CGs:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-security/2015Apr/0012.html

Mr. Rybka is free to contact me any day!

Cheers,
Anders

1] http://blog.chromium.org/2014/11/the-final-countdown-for-npapi.html
2] https://twitter.com/shimonamit/status/571046844488245248