Re: Final countdown for NPAPI

On 2 May 2015 4:13 pm, "Anders Rundgren" <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2015-05-01 23:01, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>

>> On 1 May 2015 at 14:12, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> http://blog.chromium.org/2014/11/the-final-countdown-for-npapi.html
>>>
>>> Reading the comments it is obviously not only me who think that Google
(and Microsoft) have done a major screw-up by removing a feature and not
offering any kind of replacement!

>>> Mozilla's take on this topic remains a true mystery.
>>>
>>> For the market however, the decision is crystal-clear: **** the Web and
go for Apps!

>> Thanks for sharing.  Anders, could you say what you think the
consequences of this are, for those not familiar with NPAPI, especially to
web payments.

>> From reading the comments, it seems to suggest blocking of java,
silverlight, flash, and facebook videos.  Is that right?

Is it expected that a $ figure will allow for 'exceptions'?

>> Do you think there's a direct or indirect impact on web payments?
>

> This really depends on what your ambition is and who you are targeting.
>
> If (for example) you would be targeting the credit-card networks, it is
simply put not technically feasible creating anything comparable to Apple
Pay for the Web.

I would have thought opencreds / w3c community credentials project solves
that problem in a way that migrates ID to the cloud, rather than the
browser?

Therein perhaps; a need to fortify the browser and segway via w3c related
works??

> There was some hope that the WebCrypto.Next effort would address this but
this activity failed and it appears that everybody nowadays has left the
party.

> The browser-vendors (and just about everyone else as well) lead by Google
have rather fled to the FIDO Alliance and what's cooking there is hard to
say since members have to sign NDAs.  Based on their initial deliverable,
U2F, it seems that they are focusing on the needs of "SuperProviders",
something which I believe is the opposite to what the world in general
wants.

How long will a browser + os  ui be required for webapps? Seems like
computing is migrating (yet, without a bunch of tools ready for market, yet)

Equally, w3c was started, from memory, due to JavaScript wars /
browser+webpage compatibility issues.  We've all grown up since then, yet,
I'm naively perceiving a priorities shift, upon a lens of particular values
narrated in terms of establishing w3c, and related considerations at the
time...

> The W3C staff seem unable dealing with the fact that they lost to FIDO
although there's an obvious way to regain the interest: Create technology
for a distributed Web which effectively competes with FIDO.  OTOH, this
would create considerable tension so I guess it won't happen in the W3C
either.

> From what I can see in the market and also have received privately as
actual feedback, the world outside the (somewhat elitist and academic) W3C
has no problems with "Apps".

I imagine it to be a good stance.  Devil is in the detail, and we
participate with that 'duty' to debate, thereto, I post ;)