Re: HTTP 402 (payment required) -- the missing link

On 17 June 2015 at 01:57, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've implemented HTTP 402 a few times for payment protected resources.
>
> While it works well enough, I ran into a problem.
>
> If payment is required, how does the client know what to do next?
>
> I think ive found the missing link here, and wanted to run it by people
> here.
>
> What about sending a Location: header telling the client where to go next?
>
> Then the client can find all the information about how to pay, their
> balance, the cost etc.
>
> This should enable smooth work flows for payment protected resources, pay
> walls etc.

So I raised http 402 with timbl today, to ask the history.

He did invent ("scribbled down was his term :)") 402 the idea being that
the web should be a platform for both paid and unpaid content.

He said he originally envisioned it as being quite important, else it
wouldnt have been put before 403!

He also said the w3c payments group might be a good place to standardize
402.