Re: Ripple/Stellar Consensus System May Have Serious Issues as Stellar Forks

On 25 April 2015 at 21:38, Tao Effect <contact@taoeffect.com> wrote:

> My understanding on Ripple is that it has not forked only because it’s
> like a handful of centralized servers that are allowed to take part in the
> consensus, and it’s difficult for others to join.

Does it really matter too much, as long as the system is operational?

Having run the first ripple explorer, the issue I can remember was missing
ledger entries, which I found confusing.  I think this was partially
resolved in issue:

https://github.com/ripple/ripple-client/issues/881#issuecomment-19155415

"Transactions back to ledger 32,570 should be available"

But what about the first 32,000 entries in the ledger when the 100 billion
XRP were distributed?  I was never able to find these, tho granted, I
havent looked in a while.  I no longer have time to run my ripple explorer
(due to spinning plates).  I wonder if this was issue ever resolved?

For a public ledger system where the first 10s of 1000s of entries were not
available some might think that would be a show stopper.  But the system
seemed to run perfectly fine.

So I wonder if all these concerns about forks are worries about non events