Re: W3C Web Payments Use Cases 1.0 first public draft

From: Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:21:35 -0700
To: public-webpayments@w3.org
On 4/16/15 12:45 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> What I have found is over 99% of the payments so far, I've been
> working on are a very simple use case, namely:
>
> Alice pays Bob <amount> <currency>
>
> Would this be considered part of section A -- "Future Work"?  Or is
> this kind of payment covered in an existing use case, because the ones
> I looked at all look more like purchases than payments.
>
> I'm slightly sure where my work fits into the intersection of the IG /
> CG / WG, or if it intersects at all.

+1

I wrote about this in reply to the Executive summary; no replies:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments/2015Mar/0043.html

I admit my reasoning there seems a bit speculative (in fact,
hot-headed), and towards the conspiracy theory end of the continuum --
but, now Melvin's come back with some data that supports it; thank
you. ;-)

And even having calmed down, I'm still thinking that shunting off the
simplest A->B payments between two people as 'Future Work' is a
mistake (and a slightly suspicious one).

So I'll repeat my final paragraph from that email:

"Final speculation -- in for a penny, in for a pound ;-)  -- I suspect
it's going to happen anyway; if the Web Payments IG doesn't want to
touch it, then Ripple/Bitcoin/whatever +Mobile Payments will do it,
and it will have a huge effect, in all likelihood, and subvert some of
the WP IG standards work (if they ignore it). "

Steven Rowat