EMV versus WebPayments

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 16:19:20 +0100
To: Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>, "public-webpayments-comments@w3.org" <public-webpayments-comments@w3.org>
One of the things I have been thinking about is if maybe would be a better
idea converting local payment terminals to "talk web" rather than pushing
EMV into the web space.

Why is that?  Because EMV wasn't designed for the web in the first place
and it also seems that a web-based system would be a super-set of a local
payment system.

Using the NFC, the payment terminal would simply return a URL and the
rest would follow what you would normally do on the web.

Yes, every payment terminal out there would have to be upgraded! This will
of course only happen if we *first* establish a working system on the web.

Anders