Re: discovering an authority endpoint

On 11/20/14 12:10 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 11/19/2014 07:08 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>> The benefit of this approach is that you can embed the services in
>>> the HTML document as JSON-LD or RDFa, or you can content negotiate
>>> for it. You also don't have to have special .well-known URL
>>> registries and the solution can be re-used for any sort of REST
>>> API web services on the site (and extended dynamically instead of
>>> having to go through IETF or W3C).
>> Re. HTML are you going to use <link/> and @rel in <head/> to expose
>> key relations?
> I think it's a good idea. I'm not sure most Web developers will do it.

What's difficult here? This is all about using existing HTML
elements/tags to express relations. The most basic relation, which
bootstrapped the blogosphere and Web 2.0 was:

<link rel="alternate" href="{some-rss-feed-url}" ... /> .

More recently we've seen the rise of:

<link rel="related" href="{some-related-web-resource-url}" ... /> .

<link rel="canonical" href="{web-resource-permalink}" ... /> .

> Why not just content negotiate for the root document instead of having
> all those link @rels in HEAD? Wouldn't that be simpler?

No, since these "Web Developers" don't seem to want or be able to
configure HTTP servers. In some cases, they don't even have requisite
privileges on these servers.

<link/> provides similar document type selection capability to HTML
oriented user agents.

My point it that you end up with targeting a broader audience when you
incorporate <link/> (HTML processors), <script/> (HTML processors that
sniff out data islands e.g., most JSON-LD processors, and "Link:" (for
HTTP level processors).

Rather than deem anything as being "too difficult" why not provide
options? The more the merrier.

>> With <script/> based structured data islands an additional mechanism
>> for relations discovery?
> This seemed to be the most likely thing that Web developers would do.

Again, we don't know what some other group of cognitive beings will do,
so rather than predict (imprecisely) why not provide options? These
cognitive beings are eternally whimsical -- something computer
technology continuously forgets or overlooks.

>   So
> if we had to pick one thing, I think this should be it.

You don't pick one thing and attempt to mandate it to others, via a
spec. That never works. Look at what it did to RDF, for instance.

>   It's worked out
> quite well for schema.org markup and the Actions stuff in Gmail for JSON-LD.

That's isn't the World Wide Web. I believe this endeavor is about the
Web rather than the whims of specific organizations and/or individuals.

>> In addition to the above you can create HTTP renditions of all the
>> <link/> and @rel based relations via "Link:".
> Yes, also a good idea, but I don't think we have a good track record of
> getting Web developers to do that.

Again, let's not speak for the so called "Web Developer" . That will
never work. Instead, provide options the reduce reasons for not making
resources discoverable to agents etc...

Do not split the baby, it will never survive :)

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software