Re: discovering an authority endpoint

On 11/19/14 9:48 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 11/19/2014 05:10 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> >1. How do I know where to POST this file to, given that I may know
>> >the authority already?
> At the moment, discovery happens by hitting a well-known URL. It's the
> same basic process as outlined in the Secure Messaging spec:
>
> https://web-payments.org/specs/source/secure-messaging/#the-key-registration-process
>
> The key things to look out for are the "configuration service", and the
> use of .well-known URLs.
>
> So, I believe our current implementation does something like this:
>
> 1. Hit the domain of the payment processor that's going to do the
>     transaction, for example:
>
>     https://dev.payswarm.com/.well-known/payswarm
>
> 2. Find the 'paymentService' entry and do a POST of the transaction to
>     that service.
>
> We have been toying with changing that entirely and getting rid of the
> .well-known URL and instead serving a JSON-LD document outlining all of
> the domain services available at a particular URL. So that
> .well-known/payswarm document above would instead be delivered when you
> hit the root URL for the domain, so the process would be:
>
> 1. Hit the root domain of the payment processor, for example:
>     https://dev.payswarm.com/
>     and content negotiate for JSON-LD, TURTLE, NQuads, etc. That would
>     return the 'paymentService' URL.
>
> The benefit of this approach is that you can embed the services in the
> HTML document as JSON-LD or RDFa, or you can content negotiate for it.
> You also don't have to have special .well-known URL registries and the
> solution can be re-used for any sort of REST API web services on the
> site (and extended dynamically instead of having to go through IETF or W3C).

Re. HTML are you going to use <link/> and @rel in <head/> to expose key
relations? With <script/> based structured data islands an additional
mechanism for relations discovery?

In addition to the above you can create HTTP renditions of all the
<link/> and @rel based relations via "Link:".

Examples
--------

Using DBpedia:

<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data> includes links to different
document types in the page footer.

<view-source://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data> includes:

<!-- header -->
<head profile="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab">
     <title>About: Linked data</title>
     <link rel="alternate" type="application/rdf+xml"
href="http://dbpedia.org/data/Linked_data.rdf" title="Structured
Descriptor Document (RDF/XML format)" />
     <link rel="alternate" type="text/rdf+n3"
href="http://dbpedia.org/data/Linked_data.n3" title="Structured
Descriptor Document (N3/Turtle format)" />
     <link rel="alternate" type="application/json+rdf"
href="http://dbpedia.org/data/Linked_data.jrdf" title="Structured
Descriptor Document (RDF/JSON format)" />
     <link rel="alternate" type="application/json"
href="http://dbpedia.org/data/Linked_data.json" title="Structured
Descriptor Document (RDF/JSON format)" />
     <link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml"
href="http://dbpedia.org/data/Linked_data.atom" title="OData (Atom+Feed
format)" />
     <link rel="alternate" type="text/plain"
href="http://dbpedia.org/data/Linked_data.ntriples" title="Structured
Descriptor Document (N-Triples format)" />
     <link rel="alternate"
href="http://dbpedia.org/sparql?default-graph-uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org&amp;query=DESCRIBE+&lt;http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_data&gt;&amp;format=text%2Fcsv"
type="text/csv" title="Structured Descriptor Document (CSV format)" />

     <link rel="alternate"
href="http://dbpedia.org/sparql?default-graph-uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org&amp;query=DESCRIBE+&lt;http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_data&gt;&amp;output=application%2Fmicrodata%2Bjson"
type="application/microdata+json"     title="Structured Descriptor
Document (Microdata/JSON format)" />
     <link rel="alternate"
href="http://dbpedia.org/sparql?default-graph-uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org&amp;query=DESCRIBE+&lt;http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_data&gt;&amp;output=text%2Fhtml"
              type="text/html"             title="Structured Descriptor
Document (Microdata/HTML format)" />
     <link rel="alternate"
href="http://dbpedia.org/sparql?default-graph-uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org&amp;query=DESCRIBE+&lt;http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_data&gt;&amp;output=application%2Fld%2Bjson"
type="application/ld+json"     title="Structured Descriptor Document
(JSON-LD format)" />
</head>

--
Regards,