Re: Just off the wire

On 1 November 2014 01:25, Pindar Wong <pindar.wong@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.coindesk.com/wc3s-web-payments-redesign-bypass-bitcoin/

Thanks for sharing.

Was kind of confused after reading that!

I do feel that the charter and use cases are underweight crypto
currencies.  Those document read like the group is unaware either that
crypto currencies exist, or that it is the major innovation payments in the
last decade.  Not all together accurate, but neither a million miles away
from the mark.

It's not all that clear how much of a role there is for crypto currency
work in this group, or how welcome it would be.  As someone working in this
area, I'd like to follow this work, but am unsure how much or how little to
participate in the core discussion.

The piece didnt really go in to the fact that very few crypto firms have
engaged the payments group.  Either as W3C members, as individuals on the
mailing list (although Amir has posted a few times), or at the workshop.
This group has been publicized well on bitcoin mailing lists.

The web is generally open ended enough for there to be a place in the
standard for crypto currencies, even though it's not explicitly stated.

Personally I will probably take 80% of the work done here, and create 20% a
new standard that should be closely compatible with w3c payments, work with
bitcoin and other cryptos, and hopefully be a basis for v2 of the spec.
But that's probably looking at sometime closer to 2020 ... hopefully more
btc people will engage during this time, indeed, I've had conversations
with core devs in the last week about a documenting RESTful APIs which are
starting to go into the core in the next weeks.