Re: Informal poll: Identity use cases

On 05/19/2014 01:11 AM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
> Use Case: Execute a transaction without revealing secrets (i.e.
> identity, passwords, PINs) whose primary purpose is orthogonal to the
> actual transaction.
>
> - I'm not sure i understand the Use Case...

The use case requirement is basically: "Don't ask customers to type in
their credit card numbers, they're unnecessary and insecure."

The same thing applies to CVV2 numbers on the back of the credit card.

In other cases, it should be unnecessary for you to transmit your
identity in order to, for example, pay for a pack of gum. The
description for this use case would elaborate on these points.

> Use Case: Enable anonymous transactions such that the identity of the
> customer is not discoverable by merchants or payment processors.
>
> - I think this means completely anonymous - meaning untraceable? if
> so, -1.
>
> I can see the validity of a use-case that states customer's identity
> is not discoverable by the merchant and/or recipient; however i
> interpret the 'payment processor' to include KYC/AML related
> requirements.  If Fiduciary responsibilities are supported (IE: for
> law-enforcement purposes) then +1.

Ensuring regulatory compliance would be supported. We're not going to do
anything that enables large-scale money laundering.  :)

This use case requirement is effectively: "Enable digital cash". When a
customer would transfer their cash into an anonymous wallet, all the
necessary reporting would still be done w/ the financial crimes
enforcement networks the world over. This is no different than you
taking money out of an ATM and then handing that money to someone in a
personal transaction.