Re: Web Payments Interest Group Charter draft ready for review

On 5/18/14 8:13 PM, Joseph Potvin wrote:
> If you want the
> incumbents to explore significant hypotheticals, and to honestly
> consider the relative merits of other options without freaking out
> their own marketing and licensing wonks, then you need to cut them
> some slack to have exploratory discussions off the record.

That's a good example, --and I'm sure such incumbents exist who would
prefer to participate more fully in closed sessions. But...

>The W3C
> seems to me an excellent forum in which to do that.

Perhaps, except the possible gain of their ideas and input needs to be
balanced against the possible losses of the ideas and input of
individuals who have no membership in the W3C, as well as those who
may be offended/put off/suspicious of any lack of transparency in the
process and on that basis may choose not to participate.

And the latter two groups may justifiably wonder if the 'incumbents'
you speak of with vested interests would actually 'honestly' consider
the relative merits of other options in a closed session. Perhaps some
will do that, but perhaps others will use the opportunity to pressure,
maneuver or cajole for continuation of their 'currently lucrative
system' in a way that wouldn't be possible in a fully public
communication medium.

Steven

But the scale is