Re: Strong authentication for PayPal versus WebPayments

On 8 May 2014 23:04, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 05/08/2014 01:11 PM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> > It seems that the Web Payment CG have found the holy grail, where
> > linked data obviates the need for authentication in its traditional
> > sense.
>
> Sarcasm on a mailing list is rarely helpful, it's often misinterpreted
> and leads to further miscommunication, which eats into all of our
> precious time. :)

+1

To be fair, it took us about 5 years to work out this separation of
concerns.

ie that identity is a logically different concept from verifying identity
(authentication)

But if you think about it, it's quite common in the real world.  I may send
you a letter, and tell you my name.  You may be perfectly fine to read a
letter (say a christmas card) from me, and not need to verify that I am who
I say I am.  In other cases, a letter may be signed or verified by a third
party, such as the post office.  The telephone and email you could argue
also have this property.

In this way you can get the best of all worlds, using the right technique
appropriately.