Re: "Web Identity" -> "Web Credentials"

On 3/5/14 9:19 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:

> On the call today, we also discussed "Identity Credentials",
> "Digital Credentials", and "Decentralized Credentials". Any
> thoughts on those names given the clarifications above?

Of those, only "Identity" still carries the idea of a discrete unit
(an entity).

Digital -- too amorphous.

Decentralized -- lacks the entity aspect. It does add a new important
piece of information -- that the system is decentralized -- but is the
overall name the place to do that, at the expense of the 'entity'
concept? (I don't think so). Plus Decentralized Credentials is a real
mouthful -- it will be DC, and that's not memorable on its own; too
many other things are DC.

My opinion is to keep looking. Reading a dictionary about "identity",
I get "set of characteristics", and also "unit" from one of the
definitions... maybe:

"Unit Credentials"  "WebSet Credentials" "Web Unit Credentials" etc.

Also, you refer to it the other email as a verification system...

"Verified Credentials"  "VeriSet Credentials" "VeriNet Credentials"

"Verified Entity"

Just groping around a bit....

"Persona Credentials" might be a good one? Could it be stolen? :-)

And then...  what we're actually looking for is, at the highest level,
a "name", right?

Why not go whole hog?

"Name Credentials"  ?  "Net Name Credentials"  "Web Name Credentials"

or, it's also a "label":

"Web Label Credentials" "Label Credentials"

"Verified Labels"  "Verified Names"

OK, sorry, too much to compare all at once. But maybe you'll find
something in this...

Steven