Re: "Web Identity" -> "Web Credentials"

From: Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 18:49:38 -0800
To: public-webpayments@w3.org, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
On 3/4/14 5:57 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:

> This new formulation hints at the real purpose of the specification. It
> isn't about identity as much as it is about asserting an identity's
> credentials. In that vein, the specification should probably be renamed
> from "Web Identity" to "Web Credentials".
>
> Thoughts?

If I understand correctly, I don't agree with that last name change.

My reasoning is you can have several credentials under one Identity
(and several claims under one credential). So you still need a word to
refer to the 'entity' that the credentials (and claims) purport to
define. And if that word is also "Credential", that's using the term
for two different things, no?

Or are you intending to still use the word "Identity" for that, but
name the entire system "Web Credentials"?

Aside: I like both the "credential" and the "claim" changes and I
think those things work well.

But for me what they create is a "Web Identity", as far as I
understand the terms.

Maybe if you believe the 'credential' part is too central to leave out
of the name then it could be something like "Credentialled Identity" ?
  (or "Credentialled Entity" or "Entity Credentials")?  I.e., Does
"Web" have to be there? There will be parts used off the web, won't
there? So perhaps 'Web' is misleading and too limiting...?

Or, if Web is important too,

"Web Entity Credentials"  :-)

Steven