Re: The Payment Identity Problem (was: Re: Proof of Concept: Identity Credentials Login)

I agree 100% that identity is a major issue and needs to be solved.
As I dig into the Identity Credentials stuff I can see how this may be a
great approach.

My issue is this:

We have agreed that we want to put together a standard that uses push
payments ( I think this is what we agreed?).
I define push payments to mean:
1. The payer initiates the payment via their provider of choice (using a
mobile, internet, whatever channel that they trust between them and the
provider).
2. The provider processes a payment to the payee.
3. The payee gets some form of notification that they have been paid and
they trust this.

Other steps like invoicing, exchanging identity credentials,
selecting/negotiating terms are not essential.
They are important to discuss and to at a minimum define where they would
fit in, but are not essential.

I will bet that 99.99999% of the people involved in the projects, start-ups
or initiatives you have linked to are trying to solve one of the following
problems:
1. KYC - A payment provider getting proof of identity credentials for a new
customer when they sign them up
2. Protecting identity (and payment) data of a payer when it is passed via
the payee and the rest of the payments ecosystem onto their provider (card
issuer). i.e. Most payments today.
3. Generic identity exchange and protection issues which are important for
things like eGovernment, privacy etc

If I look at the high level process I describe above and these three issues
I see very little overlap.
KYC - Dealt with between the payer and provider at sign up. Not relevant to
the payment process.*
Protecting identity (and payment data) passed to payee - Not relevant under
this model.*
Generic identity exchange - Not relevant to payments process.*

*  As I have said before, if the payee needs to get identity credentials
about the payer then identity exchanges comes into scope.
   This is important to discuss (even if we just define where and how it
would fit in) but is not essential to the completion of most payments done
today.
   It's not done today in BaM store when I pay so why is it suddenly
essential?