W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webpayments@w3.org > July 2014

Re: VOTE: Revised Payment Initiation / Wallet Web Payments Workshop Use Cases

From: Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 03:38:21 +1000
Message-Id: <F10B28DD-FB2E-4322-9E49-3031B36336DD@gmail.com>
Cc: Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
To: Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca>


Sent from my iPad

> On 19 Jul 2014, at 3:35 am, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:
> 
> I'd offer to put it up, but am overcommitted presently.
> 
> Each item should have, I think, radio buttons foy Y/N, plus an
> open-ended text field for  comments.
> 
+1 and use some basic formatting for the output, like csv - good for importing into a spreadsheet...

> Joseph
> 
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Tim Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nice Idea.
>> 
>> Could simply be a form that’s run on rww.io / data.fm - mind, people would need to get a WebID (cimba.co makes that simple…)
>> 
>>> On 19 Jul 2014, at 3:08 am, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Is anybody in this GC running an instance of LimeSurvey or equivalent
>>> that we might conduct a more efficient poll on, or use SurveyMonkey?
>>> (Or did I miss something about that?)
>>> 
>>> Joseph
>>> 
>>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Adrian Hope-Bailie
>>> <adrian@hopebailie.com> wrote:
>>>> Use Case: Customer selects item to purchase on merchant's site, merchant
>>>> generates a purchase request that will be processed by the customer's
>>>> payment processor.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: A developer can create a link with a specific “attribute (custom
>>>> URI
>>>> scheme or rel type)” such that when a customer clicks on it, the customer's
>>>> payment
>>>> processor starts the payment process.
>>>> +1 Updated use case - Is URI scheme the only way to do this?
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: When a customer intends to make a payment, they are given a
>>>> choice to pick among the intersection of the payment processors they're
>>>> registered with and the payment processors that are advertised by the
>>>> merchant.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: A merchant advertises different details, such as price, for an
>>>> offer of sale based on potential payment processor choice.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: A customer can associate a membership card, coupon, or similar
>>>> token with a transaction to receive a discount or other benefits.
>>>> +0 For later iterations
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: Leveraging variable degrees of identity/anonymity per
>>>> requirements of the payment transaction.
>>>> +0 For later iterations
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: A customer discovers an offer for sale by a merchant under
>>>> terms that the merchant is comfortable with. The offer includes a list
>>>> of payment processors that the merchant is capable of receiving payment
>>>> through. The customer contacts a subset of those payment processors that
>>>> they are capable of sending payment through to get finalized transaction
>>>> details (such as price or speed) before executing the most desirable
>>>> transaction.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: A customer uses a native non-browser application on their
>>>> mobile phone or tablet, or a web browser to make a purchase at an app store.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: A customer makes a purchase from within an application for
>>>> premium content, virtual goods, or subscriptions.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: Temporary payment tokens for merchants. If token is stolen,
>>>> thief does not get access to financial account. Tokenization mechanism
>>>> that protects the buyer and merchant from theft of credentials.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: The customer goes to a merchant website and clicks a buy
>>>> button to complete a purchase without having to go through any
>>>> registration process. During the purchase the customer chooses which
>>>> information to share with the merchant which the merchant then uses to
>>>> uniquely identify the customer if they perform any repeat purchases.
>>>> +0 For later iterations
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: A customer goes to a website and is presented with a payment
>>>> UI from their payment processor. The purchase can be completed without
>>>> any additional information from the customer other than their consent to
>>>> complete the purchase.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: A customer goes to a merchant website, and upon initiating a
>>>> payment, the merchant's software transmits the merchant's payment
>>>> processor options to the customer's software. The customer's software
>>>> presents a choice of payment processors the customer has previously
>>>> registered with that are compatible with the merchant's payment processors.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: A customer visits a merchant's website and initiates a
>>>> payment. Their payment processor presents them with an option to
>>>> subscribe or add a pay-as-you-go token for future purchases from the
>>>> merchant.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Design Criteria: Consider using Web Intents or Protocol Handlers to
>>>> provide an abstraction layer that could be used to solve both payment
>>>> initiation and other problems on the Web.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Use Case: A customer stores their wallet, credentials, and digital
>>>> receipts with a particular identity/wallet/data storage provider. The
>>>> customer decides to switch to a different identity/wallet/data storage
>>>> provider and all of their wallet, receipt, and credential data comes
>>>> with them.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Design Criteria: Require data portability for customer financial data
>>>> and identity data that is required for core transaction functionality.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Design Criteria: Ensure the Web payments solution can provide an
>>>> abstraction layer that integrates with existing payment methods (eg:
>>>> VISA, Mastercard, ACH, PayPal, debit card, Premium SMS, etc.)
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Design Criteria: Don't prevent multiple levels of security based on the
>>>> type of transaction being performed. No auth for small amounts, PIN auth
>>>> for medium amounts, Secure Element for large amounts.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> Design Criteria: Don't prevent the implementation of simple digital
>>>> contracts and smart contracts.
>>>> +1
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>>> On 17 July 2014 03:51, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>> Please +1/+0/-1 each payment initiation / wallet use case below in order
>>>>> to show whether or not you agree that we should try and attempt
>>>>> addressing the use case in the first iteration of the Web Payments work.
>>>>> If you +0 or -1 the use case, please specify why as well as changes that
>>>>> could be made that would result in you +1'ing the use case.
>>>>> 
>>>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: Customer selects item to purchase on merchant's site, merchant
>>>>> generates a purchase request that will be processed by the customer's
>>>>> payment processor.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: A developer can create a link with a specific payment URI
>>>>> scheme such that when a customer clicks on it, the customer's payment
>>>>> processor starts the payment process.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: When a customer intends to make a payment, they are given a
>>>>> choice to pick among the intersection of the payment processors they're
>>>>> registered with and the payment processors that are advertised by the
>>>>> merchant.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: A merchant advertises different details, such as price, for an
>>>>> offer of sale based on potential payment processor choice.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: A customer can associate a membership card, coupon, or similar
>>>>> token with a transaction to receive a discount or other benefits.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: Leveraging variable degrees of identity/anonymity per
>>>>> requirements of the payment transaction.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: A customer discovers an offer for sale by a merchant under
>>>>> terms that the merchant is comfortable with. The offer includes a list
>>>>> of payment processors that the merchant is capable of receiving payment
>>>>> through. The customer contacts a subset of those payment processors that
>>>>> they are capable of sending payment through to get finalized transaction
>>>>> details (such as price or speed) before executing the most desirable
>>>>> transaction.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: A customer uses a native non-browser application on their
>>>>> mobile phone or tablet, or a web browser to make a purchase at an app
>>>>> store.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: A customer makes a purchase from within an application for
>>>>> premium content, virtual goods, or subscriptions.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: Temporary payment tokens for merchants. If token is stolen,
>>>>> thief does not get access to financial account. Tokenization mechanism
>>>>> that protects the buyer and merchant from theft of credentials.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: The customer goes to a merchant website and clicks a buy
>>>>> button to complete a purchase without having to go through any
>>>>> registration process. During the purchase the customer chooses which
>>>>> information to share with the merchant which the merchant then uses to
>>>>> uniquely identify the customer if they perform any repeat purchases.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: A customer goes to a website and is presented with a payment
>>>>> UI from their payment processor. The purchase can be completed without
>>>>> any additional information from the customer other than their consent to
>>>>> complete the purchase.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: A customer goes to a merchant website, and upon initiating a
>>>>> payment, the merchant's software transmits the merchant's payment
>>>>> processor options to the customer's software. The customer's software
>>>>> presents a choice of payment processors the customer has previously
>>>>> registered with that are compatible with the merchant's payment
>>>>> processors.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: A customer visits a merchant's website and initiates a
>>>>> payment. Their payment processor presents them with an option to
>>>>> subscribe or add a pay-as-you-go token for future purchases from the
>>>>> merchant.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Design Criteria: Consider using Web Intents or Protocol Handlers to
>>>>> provide an abstraction layer that could be used to solve both payment
>>>>> initiation and other problems on the Web.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Use Case: A customer stores their wallet, credentials, and digital
>>>>> receipts with a particular identity/wallet/data storage provider. The
>>>>> customer decides to switch to a different identity/wallet/data storage
>>>>> provider and all of their wallet, receipt, and credential data comes
>>>>> with them.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Design Criteria: Require data portability for customer financial data
>>>>> and identity data that is required for core transaction functionality.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Design Criteria: Ensure the Web payments solution can provide an
>>>>> abstraction layer that integrates with existing payment methods (eg:
>>>>> VISA, Mastercard, ACH, PayPal, debit card, Premium SMS, etc.)
>>>>> 
>>>>> Design Criteria: Don't prevent multiple levels of security based on the
>>>>> type of transaction being performed. No auth for small amounts, PIN auth
>>>>> for medium amounts, Secure Element for large amounts.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Design Criteria: Don't prevent the implementation of simple digital
>>>>> contracts and smart contracts.
>>>>> 
>>>>> -- manu
>>>>> 
>>>>> --
>>>>> Manu Sporny (skype: msporny, twitter: manusporny, G+: +Manu Sporny)
>>>>> Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
>>>>> blog: The Marathonic Dawn of Web Payments
>>>>> http://manu.sporny.org/2014/dawn-of-web-payments/
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> --
>>> Joseph Potvin
>>> Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations
>>> The Opman Company | La compagnie Opman
>>> jpotvin@opman.ca
>>> Mobile: 819-593-5983
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Joseph Potvin
> Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations
> The Opman Company | La compagnie Opman
> jpotvin@opman.ca
> Mobile: 819-593-5983
Received on Friday, 18 July 2014 17:38:55 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:07:32 UTC