Re: European Payments Council - Overview on Mobile Payments

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 10:01:23 +0200
To: Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>, Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
On 2014-07-01 09:35, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
> This report was quite interesting reading:
> http://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/index.cfm/knowledge-bank/epc-documents/epc-overview-on-mobile-payments-initiatives-edition-june-2014/epc091-14-epc-overview-on-mobile-payments-initiatives/

Thanx!
I don't understand how this document is supposed to help the industry.

China which wasn't mentioned have the by far biggest mobile payment market.
It owned by Alibaba who works like a bank as well.
They are currently trying to build their own phones as well including getting other device vendors supporting their AliPay system.

It is possible that the mPos part will be the slowest part of it all.
My personal belief is that EMV will not prevail because cards <<>> devices.

> Do we have any representation in the group from the EPC?
> Or from:
>
>   * EPASOrg
>   * SWIFT
>   * Mobey Forum

These organizations operate under NDAs and will therefore have very little influence
on the future mobile payment market and system.

Cheers,
Anders