Re: Is it possible to impersonate an identity?

On 2014-02-21 14:13, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 02/17/2014 10:35 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>> I believe any TTP-based identity-provider can impersonate their
>> clients if they really want. U2F could eliminate this since it
>> doesn't build on a central authority.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, U2F is still susceptible to the malicious
> TTP attack. Someone has to hold the list of your public keys, that
> organization can add new public keys at will. If the organization can
> add public keys, they can just add their own and fake your identity if
> they so desire.

A U2F key is only intended (able) to authenticate you to a specific site.
If this site in turn vouches for you (like your account) they could do evil.
This would be similar to a bank stealing money from their own customers.

>> There are though HUGE disadvantages of not using TTPs, particularly
>> if you lose your keys.
>
> Yep.
>
>> IMO, U2F's privacy model doesn't pass the litmus test because without
>> a valid e-mail address there's very little a service provider can
>> offer.
>
> I don't understand the specifics of what you're saying, could you
> elaborate, please?

Well, the idea is that by having a unique key at each site the sites
can't track you.  If sites require a verified e-mail address the
unique key add no privacy unless you have a huge number of e-mail addresses.
It's the classic theory versus practice :-)

Anders