Re: Zero Click Bitcoin Micropayments using HTTP 402

On 30 December 2014 at 00:38, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 2014-12-30 00:19, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

>> On 29 December 2014 at 19:47, Anders Rundgren <
>> anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com <mailto:anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 2014-12-29 18:54, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>
>>         On 12/28/14 2:05 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>>
>>             In addition, I don't even think the idea using HTTP 402
>> actually buys you anything since it
>>             has no meaning in a browser (and thus for the user) which
>> means that there must always be
>>             a *proxy* involved which does the actual work.
>>

>>         If 402 has no meaning in the browser, how does 200 magically have
>> meaning to said browser?
>>

>>     Just to verify my claim I wrote a small Servlet that returned 402.
>>     Using sendError (402) IE, Chrome and Firefox returned an error page
>> saying that "payments are needed".
>>     Using setStatus (402) the same browsers did the same thing as for 200
>> showed the HTML page.
>>
>>     None of these responses has any use for payments as far as I can tell.
>>

>> Are you expecting 4xx to do something special?  Does 404?  Or 401 or 403?
>>

> Since it doesn't do anything that you can't equally well do with 200 +
> suitable message

How can 200 + message = 402?

4xx in HTTP indicates an error

200 in HTTP indicates success

What message do you envisage here?

> I didn't see the point with building on 402.
>

>> I think this is off topic.
>>

> Ok, I thought that HTTP 402 was the actual topic.

402 is the topic, but it is already standardized. HTTP is one of the most
widely deployed protocols on the planet.  It means payment required.  So
the idea is that a page which is something like a paywall could return a
402 as part of the request / response process.

But this more related to HTTP / AWWW than to the 402 demo above.

Not understanding how the extension works or what it's doing, thats ok,
youve said so already.

I think your servlet demo is of topic because I dont know what you are
trying to show other than how HTTP works.