Re: Ripple/Stellar Consensus System May Have Serious Issues as Stellar Forks

On 12/06/2014 05:20 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Interesting article here
>
> http://www.coinsetter.com/bitcoin-news/2014/12/06/ripplestellar-consensus-system-may-serious-issues-stellar-forks-1969

This has some interesting info:

https://www.stellar.org/blog/safety_liveness_and_fault_tolerance_consensus_choice/

"""
This week, we discovered the first instance of a consensus failure. On
Tuesday night, the nodes on the network began to disagree and caused a
fork of the ledger. The majority of the network was on ledger chain A.
At some point, the network decided to switch to ledger chain B. This
caused the roll back of a few hours of transactions that had only been
recorded on chain A. We were able to replay most of these rolled back
transactions on chain B to minimize the impact. However, in cases where
an account had already sent a transaction on chain B the replay wasn’t
possible.
"""

I can't seem to find any documentation on the actual set of parameters
that would cause a ledger fork to happen. Anyone have a link to a
mathematical formula where it was proven/theorized that the event would
happen?