IGF 2014 session proposal (was Re: Web Payments Telecon Minutes for 2014-04-09)

On 04/14/2014 08:01 AM, Pindar Wong wrote:
> Manu and I submitted a  222 word proposal + background paper for IGF
> consideration entitled:
>
> *'*The Payment-Privacy-Policing Paradox: Toward a Privacy-Conscious
> Internet Identity System for Web Payments'

Thanks Pindar, here's the session proposal for the 2014 Internet
Governance Forum happening in early September in Istanbul, Turkey. We
don't have confirmation on whether or not the proposal has been accepted
yet, but we've done all that we can, the rest is up to the people
running the event:

"""
In March 2014, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) had the first ever
Workshop on Web Payments in Paris, France. The result of the two day
workshop was consensus around the desire to address a number of problems
related to sending and receiving money on the Web. Potential
standardization targets focused on identity, initiating payments, and
verifiable digital receipts. Trust is a fundamental part of many
financial transactions, and while the role of establishing trusted
identities on the Internet was seen as vital, it was clear that the
policy discussion would require a more in-depth multi-stakeholder approach.

Ensuring that any W3C-based identity standard would be flexible enough
to align with national and international laws, protect privacy and
anonymity, would not aid mass surveillance initiatives, while working in
concert with international anti-terrorism-funding initiatives requires
input from civil society, government, intergovernmental organizations,
private sector, and the technical community.

Attendees are urged to watch the speaker presentations BEFORE the event
as only a brief “less than 5 minute, no slides overview” will be
provided for each during the event. In this “no presentations” 90 minute
group work session, attendees will generate input  that will be
presented at the W3C Technical Plenary (October 2014) on what an
Internet Identity system should and shouldn’t do from a technical,
privacy, surveillance, taxation, and legal policy perspective.
"""

blog: The Worlds First Web Payments Workshop
http://www.w3.org/2013/10/payments/