Re: UNCITRAL Re: Agenda: Web Payments Telecon - Wednesday, April 9th 2014

I should clarify that UNCITRAL's work relating directly to electronic
payments was subsumed in the mid-1990s into the broader Working Group
IV on Electronic Commerce:
http://www.uncitral.org/uncitral/en/commission/working_groups.html

Their work should be considered as providing explicit business
architecture requirements for any W3C draft spec on web payments, and
for any related reference implementations.

The specific elements relating to W3C work on web payments are
addressed in UNCITRAL's "Draft provisions on electronic transferable
records"... the most current work is specifically summarized in the
two links I provided yesterday:
http://daccess-ods.un.org/access.nsf/Get?OpenAgent&DS=A/CN.9/761&Lang=E
http://daccess-ods.un.org/access.nsf/Get?OpenAgent&DS=a/cn.9/768&Lang=E

Their earlier references may use more easily recognizable language:
UNCITRAL Legal Guide on Electronic Funds Transfers (1987)
http://www.uncitral.org/pdf/english/texts/payments/transfers/LG_E-fundstransfer-e.pdf
United Nations Convention on International Bills of Exchange and
International Promissory Notes (New York, 1988)
http://www.uncitral.org/uncitral/en/uncitral_texts/payments/1988Convention_bills_promissory.html

Thus I should also clarify that both the "Model Law on Electronic
Commerce" and the "Convention on the Use of Electronic Communications
in International Contracts" explicitly do not duplicate the provisions
on bills of exchange and international promissory notes (one of which
is what paper or digital "cash" usually deemed to "be").
http://www.uncitral.org/uncitral/en/uncitral_texts/electronic_commerce/2005Convention.html
"This Convention does not apply to bills of exchange, promissory
notes, consignment notes, bills of lading, warehouse receipts or any
transferable document or instrument that entitles the bearer or
beneficiary to claim the delivery of goods or the payment of a sum of
money."
http://www.uncitral.org/uncitral/en/uncitral_texts/electronic_commerce/2005Convention.html
...The point being, these specifics are addressed in UNCITRAL's "Draft
provisions on electronic transferable records".

Hope this is not "too much" detail. My suggested mission critical
point is that W3C work on web payments that conforms with UNCITRAL
will provide implementers of a W3C standard much more solid
multi-jurisdictional foundations than if the W3C community does not
take UNCITRAL into account.  Further, I recommend that any W3C
Interest Group on this topic include direct liaison with UNCITRAL
Working Group IV on Electronic Commerce.

Joseph Potvin