Re: Web Payments and Identity

Manu,
Unfortunately, I will be on airplanes for 12 hours Tuesday and
incommunicado. The good news-for me at least-is that I'll be on my way to
Hawaii on vacation. :)

I can, however, summarize a bit about what I've been doing with identity
and Bitcoin.

Basically, Bitcoin Identity leverages bitcoin's public-key infrastructure
to authenticate web logins using message signing as opposed to shared
passwords.

My original motivation for this work was really to provide a means to
suppress so-called 'sockpuppet' identities in web applications. The
original concept was published as "Collateralized Identity - Using bitcoin
to suppress sockpuppets"<http://joecascio.net/joecblog/2013/03/25/collateralized-identity-using-bitcoin-to-suppress-sockpuppets/>.
But after attending "Inside Bitcoin" in NYC recently and talking with
various people, it seemed that the identity aspects of bitcoin addresses
were valuable in and of themselves.

I've built a very small proof-of-concept that demonstrates registration and
login to an example web site with a Chrome Extension and local http service
that communicates with the Bitcoin-Qt reference wallet application using
the standard bitcoin-json API.

The user's "username" or ID is a bitcoin address, which is quite simply the
public key of a public-private pair. Example:
1FrTHp5DR3hLAqCVmuzXLmTLkpJFKCAAgP

The most significant aspect of this work, in my mind, is to demonstrate
"passwordless" login". That is, a site that accepts Bitcoin ID does not
require, have to store or be responsible for a shared secret (ie, the
password). Authentication is performed by the Bitcoin ID user software
constructing and signing a message containing a nonce and sending it back
to the site which can verify the signature of the message using the public
key.

There has been discussion here about not conflating payments with identity
and I appreciate why. I don't think my work necessarily does that, it
simply leverages the same underlying PKI. Using bitcoin technology for
identity doesn't require one to use bitcoin for payments nor vice-versa,
but there are interesting and useful synergies that obtain if one does.

1. Development of a robust PKI, including facilities akin to certificate
authorities.
2. Development of strong key security techniques and products for
protecting one's bitcoin holdings and identities.
3. Mutual enhancement of the network effect for uptake of the technology.
If you could easily add on an ID authenticator to your local or web wallet,
or if it came built in, it would promote adoption of both, simply by
convenience.

I think the ideas put forth in this thread about using digital signatures
to endorse or testify to attributes of a person's identity (eg, age, place
of residence) are spot on.

I will catch up with the call transcripts as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Joe C