Re: Web Payments and Identity

Firstly: do we have anybody from the banking industry on the list who can
further comment on this?

And then in the comments, you mention:
> Many of the banks that I spoke with would like to do KYC on their
customers once and then have some way of sharing the data (so they don't
have to pay for the KYC process again when the customer goes to another
bank to get a loan, line of credit, etc.)

However, this is not the current case. Banks could do this now without the
need of any extra technologies, and they STILL don't do it anyway! I don't
think they need a better mousetrap, I think they just don't want a
mousetrap at all. It is one thing to make them work in a kind of VISA or
SEPA framework where there is certain uniformity, but they still can use
their own identities, and another one to try to put them into using some
"common" identity that they have to trust

Maybe having some browser-level "passport" of identities is more feasible.
However, I think is very unrealistic to continue thinking that we can have
a financial identity based on something like email. Your email gives no
info about your transaction behaviour and patterns, how risky you are, how
likely to become overdraft or be involved in money laundering, etc... all
information that a KYC process has got to tackle

In operator billing we kind of get away with it because we can use the
user's mobile phone number, which is obviosuly linked to a subscriber
account on the operator side, and generally linked to a series of personal
data (in a prepay phone, from the form you had to fill) or even an actual
bank account (if you're a contract user) But still is not very widespread
as an identity mechanism (other than using the phone number as part of
2-factor auth)

Saludos!

---
ricardo

--
Ricardo Varela -  http://twitter.com/phobeo
"Though this be madness, yet there's method in 't"