Re: MintChip and duplicate detection

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:
> To get an answer to your question it appears you'll hit an
> Intellectual Provenance (IP) restriction, because your learning would
> be under the terms of the license (see below).   Should you inspect
> any of the assets provided via
> http://developer.mintchipchallenge.com/downloads.php   then if you
> actually learn any of the computational ideas implemented in MintChip,
> for the rest of your career you'd better be careful about the several
> patents held by the core system developers. More likely, it seems you
> need not expect to get source code access to any of the interesting
> tidbits:
> http://mintchipchallenge.challengepost.com/forum_topics/759

As a participant in the contest I recall that particular thread.  I
continued working on my entry (not submitted unfortunately) because it
was MintChips were fun to work with and because I'd reached the same
conclusion as @TerryWilcox.  As far as the discovery phase goes, it
was a great idea.

My support for MintChip 2.0 will in large part depend on how
transparency issues are resolved.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more