Re: Joining the group

On 18 September 2013 00:01, John Sullivan <johns@fsf.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Manu suggested I introduce myself after joining the group.
>
> I'm the executive director at the Free Software Foundation. We are very
> interested in the concept of easy international (micro)payments, because
> we want to facilitate money flowing from free software users to free
> software developers.
>
> In addition to wanting to receive general donations ourselves, we have
> our own (slowly expanding) semi-directed donations program at
> <https://my.fsf.org/donate/working-together/> where people can make
> donations that will help particular project areas, and we are the
> steward over these donations in traditional fashion (so they are
> actually tax-deductible and the expenditures are monitored).
>
> But, we are also working to set up a non-tax-deductible system where
> users can just send money to developers through a trusted system.
>
> For us, any system that we would promote would need to be usable with
> free software. Currently that means we can't use any of the portable
> credit card readers we know about, for example. And it means we shy away
> from promoting some other online payment options because they require
> proprietary JavaScript. We need better ways. :)
>
> Looking forward to the discussions in this group, and contributing what
> I can on behalf of the FSF!

Hi John and welcome.  I'm a big fan of the FSF and recently asked the
bitcoin development fund to support it.  They sent 25 bitcoins (c. $3000)
to it the next day, so I'm happy that donations made it to a good cause.
Looking forward to discussions!

Regarding allowing developers to receive donations, I wonder if simply
adding something like a bitcoin address to a developer (or app) web page,
might be *one* solution in this direction?