Re: Apple's fingerprint sensor may be the biggest leap forward in payments since the credit card

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM, David Wood <david@3roundstones.com> wrote:

> Apple's fingerprint sensor may be the biggest leap forward in payments since
> the credit card
> http://peternixey.com/post/60868649096/apples-fingerprint-sensor-may-be-the-biggest-leap

(I hope you'll forgive this, my personal opinion; it's something I
feel rather strongly about. If such comments are not in keeping with
list guidelines I'll beg your further forgiveness and not do so
again.)

There's a certain appeal to the convenience - I'll grant you that but
I just cannot see myself ever using biometrics for payments. Unless,
perhaps, it were a matter of life and death (ie. there was no other
choice).  Even then it would be a decision I'd likely struggle with.

Biometrics are not foolproof (despite the marketing) and are the
antithesis of anonymity.  While I choose not to be anonymous online,
it is just that: a choice*. And I reserve the Right to change my mind
at any given point in the future.

Additionally, what happens when the encryption protecting that
biometric information is broken? (Anyone who says it can't be broken
is selling something ;-)

Best Regards,
- Scott

* I'm open to discuss the topic with most anyone; might be best
off-list to avoid further noise though.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more