canonicalizing numbers a bad idea?

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 11:48:05 +0200
To: public-webpayments@w3.org
If you have looked into the JCS spec you have probably noted that I have
done nothing on numbers but rather proposed that parsers should keep a
textual copy of received values.  I just noted another reason for doing
that: in systems dealing with money  normalizing 1.00 to 1.0 would be
wrong  because the number of digits in the fraction actually holds
information about the precision.  anyway, it is the established way
expressing monetary values.

thoughts?

cheers
anders