Re: The path forward for Web Payments

On 22 October 2013 13:10, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> [...]
> identifiers for graphs via hashing algorithms. This spec outlines an
> algorithm for normalizing RDF graphs such that the previously described
> operations can be performed on the normalized graphs. This is necessary
> for the HTTP Keys spec to work as well as any of the digitally signed
> messages for the PaySwarm specs to work. The algorithm is horribly out
> of date and needs to be updated, and unfortunately, that's going to be
> very time consuming due to the complexity of the deterministic graph
> node/edge sorting algorithm.
>
> Web Identity - this specification describes how you do Know Your
> Customer using the HTTP Keys specification. It would describe how you
> read and write information to a PaySwarm identity (or any identity URL).
> It would also seamlessly integrate into Mozilla Persona such that you
> could login with Persona and then the website could request extra
> information from the identity owner such as shipping address, government
> issued ID card data, etc. It's somewhat of a competing spec to
> RequestAutocomplete, but given that it only exists in a few people's
> heads right now, it's going to take some work to get the first draft of
> it ready for consumption.
>
> Secure Frame - This is the direction that the MozPay specification seems
> to be taking. This approach was suggested by Kumar and would be used to
> create a whitelisted payments/secure exchange dialogue that would be
> very difficult to spoof by attackers. This dialogue could be used by
> payments companies to implement proprietary as well as open buyflows.
>
> External Payment Initiation - We've been talking with a few
> organizations that do payments that would like a way to initiate a
> payment within the browser and then hand the transaction execution off
> to an external application. The general concept needs to be worked out,
> and we need to find editors for this specification. If we can get
> something together for this in the next 4 months, we stand a good chance
> at getting a first draft ready before the Web Payments WG is chartered.
>
> ------------------------------**------------------------------**------
>
> The general plan for this group would be to propose that the specs that
> could be drafts would be included in the work that the Web payments
> group does. A subset of the specs that we still need to create would be
> included in the charter as optional deliverables if we can find editors
> for those specifications and we get a good first draft done in the next
> 3-4 months.
>
> So, what did I miss or exclude that probably should be included? There
> is a lack of Bitcoin-related specs only because we haven't had anyone
> from the Bitcoin community step forward and propose a set of specs to
> take through W3C. The same applies for Ripple at this moment in time.
>
> Are there any specs that should be added? Should some be removed?
> Thoughts and general debate on the direction would be appreciated at

+1

One thing I'd like to see is a vocabulary that can describe the current set
of crypto currencies.  This would not need to go to a formal working group,
however.  Additionally I'd like to complete my two page mini spec on web
credits ( webcredits.org ), which should be a short introductory primer to
the larger payswarm work, again this would not need to be part of the WG.

Things I'd like to see modelled

Transfers (already part of commerce)
Balances and Ledgers
A block chain (this is a time stamped server of transaction blocks)
The ripple protocol

I've spoken to Arto Bendiken who well known in both the bitcoin and linked
data communities and he is interested on working on a vocab.  Few others in
the bitcoin or ripple community really are focussed on linked data
integration at this point.

But I would not want the work on ontologies to distract overly from the
workshop, charter or working group, so how would you suggest to proceed.