Re: Web Identity draft spec released

On 25 November 2013 02:36, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The PaySwarm implementation that we have has been using a loose form of
> identity for a while now. I had some time on a flight across the Pacific
> recently and put together the beginnings of a specification for writing,
> storing, and reading identity information in a way that fits many (if
> not all) of the use cases we've created here.
>
> Melvin, I'd imagine that we're going to be collaborating quite a bit on
> this since there are many aspects that the Read Write Web group is
> working on.
>
> This spec is needed mainly to achieve a more cloud-based / Linked Data
> friendly way of doing Request Autocomplete, so you don't have to depend
> on your browser knowing your personal details. This is useful when you
> have multiple devices, each with a different web browser. It's also
> meant to be secure enough to store sensitive personal information like
> government issued IDs, home addresses, and medical information. Many of
> these pieces of information are necessary for banking and financial
> institutions Know Your Customer requirements.
>
> Abstract
> --------
>
> An identity is a Linked Data description of a particular entity such as
> a person or organization. This specification describes a mechanism of
> reading and writing to an online Linked Data identity. Linked Data
> identities are useful for storing arbitrary information, such as a
> person's shipping address, verified citizenship information, or age. The
> data is only accessible by authorized applications.
>
> https://payswarm.com/specs/source/web-identity/
>
> The spec is bare, to say the least, but is meant to mainly put a stake
> in the ground. It's designed to work seamlessly with Mozilla Persona
> (which is not detailed at all in the spec right now, but will be soon-ish).

Looks like a great start.

A few comments:

1. There may be a potential naming confusing with the proposed, and quite
similar:

"Web Identity and Discovery:

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html

2. I would suggest having json ld as the only mandatory serialization to be
supported, but allowing other w3c RECs to be returned, such as turtle

3. Terms such as "email": "bbob@example.com" ... I wonder if this would
benefit from adding mailto: in front of it, or is that handled in the
@context?

4. I personally normally prefer to use hash URIs, rather than, the 303 or
describedBy patterns to distinguish objects from documents.  In payments
it's of course important to send money to the right place! :)

Otherwise from first reading looks to me like a great start.  Im
particularly intrigued by the proof of citizenship, this could become a
whole topic in itself!