Re: FYI Pay With Bits

On 1 May 2013 00:28, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> If we had a ledger where every tel: URI had a balance mobile payments may
>> be easy.
>>

> The tipjar.com idea has always been, tipjar.com maintains that ledger.
> (Hello? Deep pockets? Are you there,
> it's me, Dave)
>
> If one gets over the various marketing details and sees Bitcoin as a
> distributed ledger, it's easy to imagine a currency overlay that records
> entries of things other than BTC in the bitcoin record.

Yes, and that's also something that rippled is trying to do.

The hard thing with a distributed ledger is synchronization of the
network.  This is why proof of work is smart because it gives the network
time to adjust and avoids race conditions, the most important of which is,
double spend.

Re: SMS solutions see also

https://phoneacoin.com/
http://coinapult.com/

There's a short thread on paywithbits here, but it seems the project is
still at early stages:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=190025.0