Re: Lift nonces / trailers into separate spec

On 24 June 2013 06:37, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> This is mostly directed at Mark Cavage, but thought it would be good to
> keep the Web Payments and HTTP Auth groups apprised of the situation.
>
> We had a quick 5 minute discussion on the #payswarm IRC channel about
> the optional features of HTTP signatures last week. Dave Lehn really
> didn't like that we were complicating the HTTP Signatures spec by
> talking about nonces (for HTTP) and HTTP trailer signatures. Dave
> Longley suggested that we move all optional features of HTTP Signatures
> spec into a separate spec.
>
> This would have two positive outcomes:
>
> 1. It would make it so that we can focus on the core spec and push
>    that forward at IETF.
> 2. It would reduce the "aww, man - not nonces again!" complaints.

Nonces play a key role in bitcoin and ripple, I'd be keen to reuse them,
but dont mind it moving to another spec.  It will be in the same vocab,
right?

> While we do have a pretty solid plan for nonces and trailers[1], we may
> not want to burn the time on ironing out all of the gory details right
> now since we don't have anyone demanding that HTTP Signatures work over
> an unencrypted connection.
>
> Ben Adida pointed me at this spec when I mentioned that we were working
> on HTTP Signatures (he's a co-author of the Hawk protocol):
>
> https://github.com/hueniverse/hawk
>
> A couple of takeaways from that implementation:
>
> * The way they do time synchronization is interesting.
> * The way they do nonces is basically the same approach we take.
> * Theirs is an HMAC solution, which we really, really,
>   don't want to support.
> * Bewit is interesting, but I don't think it has a place in HTTP
>   Signatures.
> * We want to integrate most of their security considerations section
>   into the HTTP Signatures Security Considerations document.

I've started looking at Hawk, it looks very interesting indeed.  Eran of
course was one of the people behind OAuth, and Hawk aims to address some of
OAuth's weaknesses.  I asked Eran if it was possible to identify yourself
to a server using a URI (something which most Identity systems cant do),
and he said that it should be possible.  So I have to say this looks very
promising!