Re: [IMPORTANT] Trademark violation for Web Keys

On 07/26/2013 03:02 PM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> Manu Sporny:
>> I agree with some of the others on the list that have said that
>> fighting this isn't worth it, especially since the case against it
>>  would be on fairly shaky ground (and a huge time sink).
>
> You still should inform W3C management. The cease and desist letter
> in effect is an attack against the work of the W3C. If I am correct
> the authors of that letter seem to have to decided not to contact
> W3C management.

I wouldn't classify it as an "attack". As far as US law goes, if they
don't assert their trademark rights against everyone that they know
infringes, they open the possibility of having that used against them in
a court of law. The other thing they risk with allowing the Web
Keys-named spec to proceed is making the term generic enough for them to
lose their trademark. So, who is attacking who here is debate-able.

W3C operates at arms length from Community Groups. The Web Payments CG
is not "officially" under the W3C umbrella until the member companies
create a WG around the work. I doubt there is much for W3C to do here.
That said, I've forwarded this to W3C's lawyers so that they're aware
that it happened. I'll let the list know if anything comes of it.

http://blog.meritora.com/launch/