Re: payswarm vocabs http vs https

On 01/28/2013 10:35 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> I've raised an issue in the JSON-LD group to discuss the issue in
> more depth:
>
> https://github.com/json-ld/json-ld.org/issues/213
>
> Thanks for the detailed response.  I wonder if we could get the
> vocabs under the w3c namespace?  Timbl was taking last week at davos
> about the need for new payments protocols...

I've talked with a few folks offline about this problem. The bottom line
is that the maintenance of the purl.org service isn't taken very
seriously by OCLC. Most of the others I have spoken with have said that
their requests have gone unanswered for months, if not years at a time.

There is only a part-timer in charge of managing the server, and it
seems that it runs on a single machine (no idea about battery backup,
disk redundancy, backups, etc.). So the whole setup seems fairly
precarious and is not meant for anything mission critical.

The reason we chose purl in the first place is because there seemed to
be a commitment from the library world to keep the system up and
operational. We have heard that HTTPS support will be coming soon for
some time now, but nothing has surfaced.

I think what we're going to do is launch our own purl service and try to
convince W3C to take over hosting of it over the long term. For the
short term, we'll pay to set it up, get HTTPS on it, get all the
software configured properly, and put the PaySwarm/commerce/security
vocab redirects on the server.

We will also provide multiple organizations (like us, W3C, IETF, etc.)
SSH access to the root account on the server so that there is always
someone available to maintain the server. I'll send something further to
this list when we know more.

blog: Aaron Swartz, PaySwarm, and Academic Journals
http://manu.sporny.org/2013/payswarm-journals/