Re: Heads up - W3C Headlights exercise on web payments

On 02/07/2013 10:33 AM, Dave Raggett wrote:
> As you can see, this year we will be looking at Web Payments
> culminating in a report in June. This is essentially a data gathering
> exercise with the aim of understanding what people want, what W3C
> could hope to achieve practically, and who would work with W3C to
> drive this forward.

This is great, glad to see the W3C is getting more focused on Web Payments!

> The exercise kicks off on Feb 19th, but I wanted to give you a heads
>  up and to extend an invitation to take part. The task force wiki
> page is at:
>
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Payments_Task_Force

I agree with the overall goals of the "Task Force", but I do also note
that they overlap, almost completely, with what this Community Group is
doing. The wiki starts out with the following:

> What do people want?

That's what this group is trying to figure out as well. :)

> What can W3C practically achieve?

Good question. Perhaps engaging this group would achieve this more
effectively than running a separate Task Force? Perhaps if the Task
Force were to just operate withing the Web Payments Community Group,
communication would be better?

> Who would work with W3C to drive this forward?

Digital Bazaar is certainly interested in working with W3C to drive this
forward. I'd expect a few others in this group are also interested.
We'll donate a telecon bridge and recording of calls, if that is
desired. We'll also participate in the calls.

> Please subscribe to the public mailing list
> public-web-payments@w3.org.

This is going to be really, really confusing for people considering we
already have a public-webpayments@w3.org mailing list. Just use this
list, don't make us have to join another list that is effectively
attempting to accomplish the same thing that this group is attempting to
accomplish.

I have added some documentation to the related-links section at the
bottom of the wiki.

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Aaron Swartz, PaySwarm, and Academic Journals
http://manu.sporny.org/2013/payswarm-journals/