Re: Financial consumer protection

On 16/12/13 22:51, Manu Sporny wrote:
> There are a number of consumer protection issues that we're concerned
> about wrt. the set of specifications that this group is working on. A
> number of them are outlined in the documents that you linked to. We tend
> to only take action on the consumer protection items that can be
> standardized and automated.
>
> For example, we are creating a mechanism that would allow customers to
> publicly rate merchants at an Internet-wide scale. Think of it like the
> Amazon or eBay ratings systems, scaled to the size of the Web. This
> would allow both merchants and customers to rate each other publicly,
> which would hopefully lead to a better understanding of who you are
> dealing with before you enter into a financial transaction with them.

Also important for us would be unauthorised/fraudulent charges (which
sounds like it could be in scope for the future, but not yet covered).

>> I'm trying to write a preliminary background briefing on this issue
>> for the consumer movement.
> What is "this issue"? Web Payments? Online payments in general?

Mainly web payments.  We have been working on online and mobile payments
in other contexts already.  Disclosure: I think I mentioned this already
when we met in Bali, but I am not a financial services expert.  However
I am the technology person who needs to brief the financial services
people before they can decide whether to invest the time in engaging in
this work.

Thanks for your email helps to clarify these points.  I will draft a
briefing on that basis and run the draft past you for comment.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.