Re: Interview: Kipochi founder Pelle Braendgaard

From: Kumar McMillan <kmcmillan@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 09:59:19 -0500
Cc: public-webpayments@w3.org, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
To: David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com>

On Aug 7, 2013, at 3:29 PM, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:

> is SMS not vulnerable to spoofing or forgery?

Yes, I believe it is. Pelle, could you talk a little bit about how user identity is verified so that transactions are secure? Since it's bitcoin I imagine the private keys would need to be stored on device, how do you do that safely?

My vague understanding of M-Pesa is that it requires a special SIM kit that includes a hardware signing mechanism (or keystore?). I assume phones that support Kipochi would need something like that.

-Kumar