Re: [Bitcoin-development] Sending Bitcoins using RSA keys

On 24 April 2013 16:46, Craig B Agricola <craig@theagricolas.org> wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something crucial, but what benefit does this dance give
> over
> the slightly more obvious mechanism of simply:
> 1) Alice generates a new address with her bitcoin client and sends the BTC
>    this new address
> 2) Alice exports the private key for that address (there is a well
> supported
>    format for that)
> 3) Alice writes a nice email to Bob, including that exported private key
> 4) Alice encrypts the email with Bob's public key using GPG and sends it
> to him
>    by email
> 5) Bob decrypts the email
> 6) Bob imports the private key into his wallet

Yes this works too.

However is it dependent on the bitcoin client address generation algorithm?

I think what I'm trying to describe is something more akin to the way a
shared secret is generated by TLS.

Agree, that the wallet is also shared, ive not yet worked out a way to
'blind' one side of the wallet, but nor have a proved it's impossible, so
still working onthat :)

> There's no need for sending a whole wallet; just the one key is needed.
>  Every
> bit of infrastructure needed above already exists.  And of course, the
> above
> has the same issue as your proposal; this is a way for two trusting
> parties to
> send BTC without using the Bitcoin network, but it's not a payment
> mechanism.
> They now share control of an address; whoever spends that BTC first wins,
> so
> until Bob uses the Bitcoin network to spend that BTC to another address
> that
> only he controls, it's still in joint custody.  And if ensuring that he has
> control of the BTC is the last (implicit) step in the procedure above, as
> well
> as yours, then they might as well have simply used the Bitcoin network to
> do
> the transfer in the first place.
>
> Did I miss the point entirely?

Perhaps I've not described the problem statement as clearly as I could,
I'll work on it.  Essentially it's an automated way to bootstrap the RSA
key community together with bitcoin.  e.g. 99% of GPG users probably dont
have a bitcion wallet or address or client.  I think maybe a user story
will help.

>  -Craig
>
> PS. Re-reading, I realize that the above might come off sounding snarky or
>     dismissive; it's not intended that way.  I'm wondering if I'm missing
> the
>     big picture.

Not snarky at all!  Appreciate the feedback...