Re: Webkeys, OpenID, WebID, OAuth etc..

On 22 April 2013 00:17, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> TLS spec mentions TLS of course. But that should not be surprising.
>>
>> > 7. Bad UX using client certs with browser makers not committed to making
>> >   the experience better.
>>
>> The UX is a lot better than you think.
>>
>> Other ways of doing it tend to make it very easy to create phishing
>> attacks.
>> Security has to be in the Chrome.
>>

>> > The parts that don't exist in WebID, but do exist in Web Keys:
>> >
>> > 1. Creating digital signatures for JSON-LD-based messages is covered.
>> > 2. Encrypting JSON-LD-based messages is covered.
>> > 3. Using a Web Key to do digital signatures for HTTP requests is
>> >   covered (HTTP Signatures), allowing you to do digitally signed
>> >   GETs on resources.
>> > 4. Keys can have URLs, and owners - for example:
>> >   https://dev.payswarm.com/i/manu/keys/1 is owned by
>> >   https://dev.payswarm.com/i/manu
>>
>> Not sure why you think that can't be done with WebID.
>>
>> > 6. Key generation and registration is covered in the specification.
>>
>> Key generation in WebID is covered by HTML5.0. And we have a section in
>> the spec on it:
>>
>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/tls-respec.html#the-certificate
>>

>> > 7. TLS is never required for Web Keys clients (but is required for Web
>> >   Keys servers). No dependence on client-side certs (which are hard to
>> >   install and manage for beginners).
>>
>> They are in fact easy to manage and insert for beginners. We have a lot
>> of demos of this.
>>
>> > 8. Keys are expressed using PEM-encoded form, making them easy to
>> >   drop into most common cryptography libraries.
>>
>> Does not sound like a big deal to me. Could be easy to add, but would
>> just make implementations more complicated.
>>

> There has been discussion for many years about whether to use PEM or the
> modulus/exponent.  See for example this thread from 2010:
>

> http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-protocols/2010-September/003603.html
>
> However modulus/exponent is RSA oriented.  Meaning DSA and particularly
> ECDSA keys which have proven so popular in payments are largely
> incompatible.  Could a DSA key work with WebID + TLS, for example?  I think
> the answer is no.
>

> Why do you think the answer is no, Melvin? I think it is possible to have
> X509 certificates with DSA keys.
>
> And even if here were not it would not be a problem to add DSA keys to the
> ontology. I
> Indeed Dominik  Tomaszuk added it to the mercurial repository recently
>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/file/26c457f1bdc0/ontologies/cert.n3#l139
>
> We're looking for feedback from people with crypto + rdf ontology
> background.
>
> Improving the cert ontology like this in a way that makes sense is
> perfectly fine.
> (we've just been careful not to add to much, because we don't have the
> manpower).
> IF we could get a Working Group things would be easier.

Yes I do think that adding DSA to the cert ontology is a great step.  As
you know, I helped to patch this last month.

But the more difficult part is that the sparql in the webid+tls would then
have to change too.  Which means all of the implementations as well.  While
it's doable in the long term, it's far from straightforward today, I can
think of an implementation that could do it.